Five “Summer Ain’t Over” Cocktails
At this time of year, it’s easy to start thinking about shutting down the summer fun and getting ready for fall and winter. Well, to hell with that, it’s still summer and we should make it last as long as we can. To facilitate that, let’s mix drinks.
These are perfect “Summer Ain’t Over” celebration cocktails for your evening on the deck, weekend pool party, or random get-together. This time around, we’re focusing on two favorite liquors: Knob Creek and Basil Hayden’s. Why those? Because whiskey and bourbon. That’s why.
Knob Creek Dog Days
It’s the dog days of summer, so let’s start with a recipe sure to make the perfect cocktail for the occasion. This one has everything summer in it, hinting at lemonade, ginger beer, and a bit of mystery.
- 1 1/2 parts Knob Creek Rye Whiskey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons absinthe
- 1 3/4 parts freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 3/4 simple syrup
- 2 parts bottle ginger beer
- In a mixing tin, add spirits, juice and syrup.
- Fill tin with ice and shake vigorously for at least 6 seconds.
- Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice and tip with ginger beer.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel and mint sprig.
Basil Hayden’s Iced Tea Cooler
- 1 ½ parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
- 1 ½ parts cool Lapsang Souchong Black Tea
- 1 part Apple Juice
- ½ part Lemon Juice
- ½ part Simple Syrup
- 1 dash Angostura® Bitters
- 1 slice of Ginger
- 1 Apple
- 2-3 sprigs of Mint
- Muddle small slice of fresh ginger in a cocktail shaker.
- Add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, black tea, apple juice, lemon juice, simple syrup and bitters over ice and shake.
- Strain into a tall highball glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a fan of apple slices and mint sprigs.
Knob Creek Rye Blackhawk
- 2 parts Knob Creek® Rye Whiskey
- 1 part DeKuyper® Sloe Gin
- 1 maraschino cherry for garnish
- In a mixing glass half-filled with ice cubes, combine the whiskey and gin.
- Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a cherry.
Basil Hayden’s Berry Fresh
- 7 parts Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
- 1 1/2 parts Elderflower
- 2 parts Water
- 2 parts Fresh Lime Juice
- 4-5 Strawberries, medium size
- 12 Blueberries
- Poke a hole in each blueberry and soak in 4 parts of bourbon for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Add strawberries to cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add fresh lime juice, Elderflower syrup, remaining bourbon and water to the cocktail shaker and shake hard.
- Add to the popsicle molds.
- Add three bourbon-soaked blueberries to each mold and freeze.
Basil Hayden’s Spiced Chocolate Cooler
- 2 parts Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
- 16 parts Low Fat Milk
- 1 1/2 parts Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1 1/2 parts Sugar
- 1 bar of Dark Chocolate (4 oz bar)
- 4-5 dashes of Chipotle Chili Pepper
- In a saucepan over a low heat, combine milk, unsweetened chocolate, sugar and dark chocolate.
- Warm, and stir continuously until all ingredients are combined. (Do not boil.)
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add bourbon and chipotle chili pepper and stir.
- Add to popsicle mold and freeze.
Latest posts by Aaron Turpen (see all)
- 2019 Nissan Pathfinder Rock Creek Is More Like It Once Was - August 5, 2019
- The 2019 Ford Ranger is now an International Truck - July 15, 2019
- 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS : Review - June 10, 2019