Introducing Bulleit Rye Whiskey

Bulleit Rye Logo e1299005134620 1024x7601 560x415

Bulleit rye 137x300

There is a new whiskey on the market. The folks at Bulleit Distilling Company in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky have created a straight rye whiskey that is a 95% rye mash whiskey with the other 5% malted barley. This mixture makes it amongst the highest American rye whiskeys on the market.  Bulleit Rye is created from grains that are from Canada, Germany, and Sweden. The water comes from a glacier aquifer that is filtered through limestone and sand while still maintaining the ideal temperature of 56 degrees. Then the liquid is fully aged and matured in oak charred barrels for a minimum of 4 years.

I opened up my bottle of Bulleit Rye and was greeted by a fruity spice aroma. The taste starts off very smooth where you can taste the maple and oak. I like the fact that the Rye does not burn the throat once you finish each sip. Speaking of the finish you get a toffee taste with hints of satin and woody taste. Finally the fruit aroma comes back in the taste at the end of each sip. The alcohol by volume is 90 proof and comes in a 750 ml and 1 liter bottles. The 750 ml bottle sells for $27.99.

Bulleit Rye recently won awards at the 2011 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. This tells you that out of the gate, connoisseurs enjoy the taste of this whiskey.  The Bulleit Rye is good by itself, but how about we mix up some drinks?

Bulleit Rye Manhattan e1302233074547

Bulleit Perfect Manhattan

  • 1 Maraschino Cherry
  • 3/4 oz Bulleit Rye
  • 1/4 oz Dry Vermouth
  • 1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
  • Dash of Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters

In a shaker, combine Bulleit Rye, Dry Vermouth, and Sweet Vermouth. Shake and pour over an ice-filled mixing glass. Add dash of bitters and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.

mint julep istock 200x300

Mint Julep

  • 1 1/3 oz Bulleit Rye
  • 1 1/2 – 2 oz of Stirrings Simple Syrup
  • Fresh mint leaves

Muddle mint leaves, Stirrings Simple Syrup and crushed ice in rocks glass. Add Bulleit Rye and fill glass with ice. Pour into cocktail shaker, shake and serve in rocks glass with mint garnish.

smash 200x300

Bulleit Rye Smash

  • .75 oz of Stirrings Simple Syrup
  • 1.5 oz Bulleit Rye
  • 1 0z Water
  • 2-3 mint leaves
  • 2 pieces of lemon

Muddle the lemon, mint, water, and simple syrup in the bottom of a mixing glass. Add Bulleit Rye, shake and strain into an old fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.