Kentucky Derby Cocktails with Bulleit
The Kentucky Derby is this Saturday and with the Derby comes three things; Horses, Big Hats, and Mint Juleps. Over 120,000 mint juleps will be served throughout the two-day race, easily making this cocktail the #1 drink of choice.
Just like the Kentucky Derby, Bulleit Bourbon is a staple of the South – deeply rooted in the heritage of the state. So below we’re proud to present two awesome takes on the classic julep, one featuring Bulleit Bourbon and the other Bulleit Rye. Both would be perfect for the Kentucky Derby gathering at your place this weekend. Think of it as four hours of drinking, and less than three minutes of racing.
The Ginger Julep ’68 Fastback
- 1.5 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
- .5 oz. Organic Brown Sugar
- ¼ oz. Peeled Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1.5 oz. Soda Water
- 1 Lemon or Lime Twist
- Muddle the ginger and brown sugar together until all of the sugar is moistened and nearly dissolved.
- Add a dash of soda to finish dissolving the sugar, stir in your Bourbon.
- Finish with ice, soda to taste and a lemon or lime twist.
The Bulleit Rye Mint Julep
- 1.5 oz. Bulleit Rye
- 2 oz. Stirrings Simple Syrup
- Fresh mint leaves
- Muddle mint leaves, Stirrings Simple Syrup and crushed ice in rocks glass.
- Add Bulleit Rye and fill glass with ice.
- Pour into cocktail shaker, shake vigorously and serve in rocks glass with fresh mint garnish.
Additionally, Philip has served as Rally Director for the Washington Automotive Press Association, Speaker at IMPAcon and Blogs with Balls, Chairman of the Relay For Life of North Anne Arundel County, Examiner Team Leader for the Maryland Performance Excellence Awards, and Credentialed Founder of Capitals Outsider.